(borrowed from my super cheesy, but super cute husband.)
Who here is into goal setting? Uriah – it’s not so much his thing – he’s a bit cynical about it, which is why he’s acting like he can’t see in this picture.
I mean, EVERYONE is doing it! If you are anything like my husband, you tend to move against the grain. Peer pressure doesn’t phase you. You do you.
This girl is here for it. To set a goal can be motivating, bring focus and purpose to your work – and actually be fruitful. This post reviews the comparative research between Harvard and Yale studies related to goals and observes that practice of goal setting is actually extremely effective, especially when coupled with a plan to execute.
“…10 years later, the 13% of the class that had set written goals but had not created plans, were making twice as much money as the 84% of the class that had set no goals at all” But that the “kicker is that the 3% of the class that had both written goals and a plan, were making ten times as much as the rest of the 97% of the class.”Wonderlust Worker
Despite Uriah’s usual opposition to the glorified, formal goal discussion – and much to my surprise – he jumped on the bandwagon with me to prepare for this year! We even made it a thing and took a little weekend getaway to DC!
I highly recommend doing this, even if it’s a stay-cation.
Using the structure found in the Cultivate What Matters workbook, a goal planner I’ve used for the past 2 years, Uriah and I set our personal and business goals and each assigned a word to our year.
Personal Goals 2020
Word of the Year
A “Word for the Year” should reflect a deeper ideal, something you’d like to master, something that has been a struggle, or even a word to pray with expectation. Uriah and I actually have different words this time around. And no – it’s not “Vision”
Uriah’s word of the year is:
I’ll let him share why:
“I’ve seen a general lack of discipline in many areas and see that it as a limiting factor on the ultimate outcome of my life. I work hard, but tend to be a bit too flexible in the day to day.
I believe changes start with the little things, like going to bed early, making the bed right when we wake up, reading the Bible in the mornings, being mindful to keep the office orderly or work out 3 days per week. I recognize that I adapt to change well when it’s progressive rather than abrupt, so the thought is that by adopting a seemingly small task on a regular basis, based on a pre-determined reason, eventually my habits will change. Perhaps then will the goals I have for us will actually happen.”Uriah
My word of the year:
I personally have struggled to maintain healthy boundaries between work and home life: there has been a definite and consistent imbalance throughout my journey in entrepreneurship. Understandable to some, but unacceptable to continue. Don’t get me wrong – I believe work is good, we were made for work. Personally, I’ve found purpose and drive, but when work bleeds into home, when it becomes your identity, it is no longer healthy. I want margin in my life to read my bible, have the energy to serve my family well, to have the time to take my children on dates! For this reason, my word for the year is “Boundaries” and it is mainly for the sake of my mental health and precious, fleeting time with my children.
I’m limiting the bleed-through of work and home, delegating my workload, and learning to say no without guilt. It will involve discipline, but for me the most applicable word for my personal needs this year, the word is Boundaries.
Let’s hit our goals together! Six months down the road is when things usually start to fall off the band wagon for me, so I’ll put it on my calendar to check in then, okay?
- Go to bed earlier – We aim to start winding down at 9:30, going to sleep at 10
- Replace the nightcap with sleepy-time tea (at least during the week)
- Read rather than binge watch
- Make the bed in the am
- Implement the Morning Meeting – 5 min. Tops
- Family Outings (one per quarter)
- Katie & Uriah – Monthly dates
- 1 on 1 time with each of our kids (once per month) – remember, there are 4 of them
- WOD or walk 3 x week
- Katie – Limit work days to 3 days per week.
- Knock out 6 house projects: The Entry, Sitting Room, Living Room, Kitchen, Boys Room, and Guest Room
Seems like alot, but in reality they are mostly small little adjustments. I can tell you right now, the two hardest from my list are going to be the 3 x per week workouts and the learning curve of delegation. But I vow to treat myself with grace and not let the shame of failing keep me from getting back on track – I encourage you to do the same.
What are your goals this year? Will you share them with me?
Hope you’ve had a wonderful start to 2020 – Happy goal setting, Inspiring Friends!